Latest Oil Plant Strike Demonstrates 'Absolutely No Safe Areas in the Russian Distant Backlines'
Ukrainian UAVs have struck Russia's oil processing plant in Ufa, positioned some 1,400 kilometers from Ukraine, causing detonations and a fire, per a source in the Ukrainian Security Service.
This constitutes the third Ukrainian security service long-range attack in the region in the recent weeks. Such operations demonstrate that there are no safe places in the deep rear of the Russia.
Zelenskyy Urges US President to Broker Ceasefire in the Conflict
Volodymyr Zelenskyy urged President Trump to mediate a ceasefire in the Ukrainian conflict during a phone call on the weekend.
"When a hostilities can be halted in a single area, then undoubtedly additional conflicts can be stopped as well, covering the Russian aggression," he said, praising the US President's "outstanding" Middle East truce proposal and urging the American leader to influence the Russian government into talks.
Russian Attacks Kill Victims in Ukraine
Strikes by Russia on Ukraine resulted in the deaths of five people on Saturday and disrupted electricity to parts of Ukraine's southern Odesa area, as stated by authorities in Ukraine.
Two civilians were killed inside a place of worship in Kostyantynivka when it was targeted, as reported by municipal sources.
In Russia's frontier area of the Belgorod region, a lorry operator was fatally wounded by a Ukrainian strike, per municipal sources.
Power Restoration Work in Kyiv
Work proceeded on Saturday to restore power in Kyiv, after Russian attacks.
Power had been returned to in excess of 800,000 inhabitants by the weekend and the major utility provider stated the key operations to recover electricity was complete though some outages persisted.
Air Defence Efforts and UAV Interceptions
Ukraine's defense forces downed or disrupted 54 out of 78 total enemy drones launched against the country in the dark hours, the military reported on Saturday.
Russia's defence ministry claimed it shot down 42 UAVs from Ukraine over the country's airspace.
Cuba Refutes Allegations of Sending Forces to Ukraine
Cuba on Saturday denied US allegations it has sent troops to engage in the conflict in Ukraine, while declaring Cuban authorities "lack accurate details about individuals" involved "independently" or "in the military forces of both sides".
The ministry in the capital stated 26 Cuban citizens had been convicted to jail sentences varying between 5 to 14 years for mercenary activity since the autumn of 2023 when reports circulated of individuals being sent to the frontlines in the conflict.
Surrender Initiative Program Reports Data on Cuban National Involvement
The program, a official Kyiv initiative that urges opposing fighters to give up, reported in spring: "We have confirmed the names and personal details of 1,028 Cubans who signed contracts with the Russian military in recently."
The Cuban authorities stated of those who might be participating: "There is no doubt that none of them has the backing, allegiance, or approval of the Cuban state for their actions."
Relatives of Cubans who traveled to the Russian Federation in 2023 told Agence France-Presse at the time that their relatives had been misled into enlisting through promotions on digital networks.